Data protection and security is a shared responsibility between AWS and their customers, but it has long been disputed whether AWS workloads need to be backed up at all – surely this is taken care of by the cloud provider? Wrong.
Last week, AWS announced a new tool to automate snapshots within AWS called “AWS Backup”. This confirms what we have been saying all along, that YOU need to ensure your AWS workloads are protected from the many things that can go wrong in your AWS environment.
“AWS Backup” is a basic snapshot scheduling tool based on AWS native snapshots with additional capabilities for managing snapshots of other AWS resources. Taking regular snapshots of your data is the logical first step for any robust data protection strategy. However, the snapshot management capabilities of “AWS Backup” are not enough. You need a complete solution that keeps your AWS data safe and easily recoverable from any scenario.
Top considerations for choosing enterprise backup on AWS:
1. Recovery Options: N2WS Backup & Recovery has a giant “recovery” button that allows you to recover anything from a single file to entire instances and even environments in seconds (and fully supports application-consistency for proper viable backups). Native-tools do not provide any recovery options. You can turn a snapshot into a data volume and mount the volume, but that is not a good enough to meet your recovery SLAs. If you are hit by ransomware, regional outage, EBS failure or user error you need a plan to recover and minimize disruption.
2. Restore granularity: Retrieving individual files can be cumbersome but there will be many times when critical files are needed quickly. N2WS makes it easy to find and recover single files, without having to restore the entire instance or volume.
3. Disaster Recovery planning: To ensure business continuity, you should consider geo- and account-redundancy. What if one of your AWS accounts is compromised or a region goes down? All responsible businesses should be equipped with a disaster recovery strategy. Native-tools do not provide easy options for cross-account or cross-region DR. This severely limits your ability to keep your business running smoothly in the event of regional disasters or an account compromise.
4. Volumes vs. VMs: “AWS Backup” manages snapshots by individual volumes but not at the level of a full instance with all its volume and its associated meta data, adding time-consuming work for your Sys Admins. N2WS backs up everything, including VPC settings, security groups and instance meta data, allowing you to completely protect your data and supporting infrastructure.
5. Scalability and Cost Savings: Using native-tools for taking hundreds or thousands of snapshots is fine, but your storage costs will start to soar if you don’t have an effective data lifecycle strategy in place. N2WS allows you to copy EBS snapshots to Amazon S3 buckets and save up to 60% on long-term storage costs.
6. Multi-Tenancy: N2WS Backup & Recovery provides central management for multiple accounts and simplifies this process by fully supporting multi-tenancy and allowing you to set permissions to suit the way you and your users work. You need a solution that provides a single pane of glass across multiple AWS accounts.
7. Application-consistency: N2WS Backup & Recovery can perform application-consistent backup of production applications without taking systems offline. Our tool also supports application-consistent backup for both Windows and Linux workloads, ensuring that the backups you take are viable and recoverable to a production state.
8. Alerts and reporting: N2WS Backup & Recovery provides out of the box reports helping you to monitor the status of your backups. You can also enable real-time alerts that ensure your team can take action quickly if needed.
Based on a survey we conducted at re:Invent 2018, we discovered that a staggering number of companies do not backup their AWS data at all, even though it falls under their responsibility. Organizations need to urgently evaluate a backup solution that meets their data protection needs.
For businesses not using N2WS, take this recent announcement as a call-to-action. Evaluate what you have in place to protect your AWS data and environment and get something in place! Even if it is manual snapshots or using free native-tools, do not ignore the problem.
For our customers, we are continuing to innovate at an accelerated pace. We have some amazing new capabilities on our roadmap and will continue to add value above and beyond what AWS supports using native-tools.
N2WS Backup & Recovery helps you leverage the power of the cloud and realize its full potential for your business. Ensuring business continuity, compliance, boosting efficiency, reducing costs and reducing risk along the way .
N2WS Backup & Recovery Free Edition can be set up in 15 minutes, giving you instant access to enterprise-grade backup and recovery, including cross-region disaster recovery, from one easy to use console. N2WS Backup and Recovery is available in all AWS regions, including AWS GovCloud.